Vojta therapy is a therapy or reflex locomotion through certain body positions and pressure on reflex zones resulted in activating the central nervous system. This improves the global reflex neurophysiological movement.
Between 1950 and 1970 the neurologist Dr. Vaclav Vojta developed his method in the Czech Republic and then in Germany. Subsequently, he called it "reflex locomotion". Professor Vojta also investigated the kinesiology of movements and described the motor development of a baby during their first year of life. During the study, it was proved that each person has a genetically fixed species-specific motor program from birth. The components of this program can be activated in both an infant and an adult. Also, Dr. Vojta formulated and systematized the principles of early diagnosis in infants, which are known as postural reactions; this made it possible to apply early treatment before establishing the habitual pathological patterns.
- Central coordination disorders (moderate to severe)
- Delay in psychomotor development for more than 3 months
- Perinatal CNS lesions
- Myogenic and neurogenic torticollis
- Cerebral palsy
- Spina bifida, meningomyelocele
- Peripheral paresis of the extremities (Duchenne-Erb paralysis, Dejerine-Klumpke, etc.)
- Congenital myopathies, muscular dystrophy
- Epilepsy (with selected drug therapy or in a stabilized state)
- Multiple sclerosis
- Various diseases of the hip joints (hip dysplasia, pre-dislocation / subluxation / dislocation, Perthes disease)
- Various deformities of the feet (varus, equinovalgus, etc.)
- Diseases of the joints and ligamentous-muscular apparatus of various origins
- Genetic syndromes (Down, Edwards, Morfan syndromes)
- Congenital malformations (arthrogryposis)
- Conditions affecting the respiratory system (bronchopulmonary dysplasia)
- Sucking, chewing, swallowing disorders
- Digestive disorders
- Dysfunction of the pelvic organs
- High body temperature (over 38.5 °)
- Acute inflammatory process
- Malignant tumors (in agreement with the oncologist)
- Immunization with live vaccine for 10 days
- Congenital osteogenesis imperfecta (glass bone disease)
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Steroid treatment
- The period of selection of drug therapy for epilepsy
- Exacerbation of chronic somatic diseases
- Hydrocephalus in the period of decompensation
- Heart diseases during the period of sub- and decompensation of cardiovascular insufficiency.
Parents’ role in therapy
The effectiveness of Vojta Therapy depends on its frequency. Therefore, parents must be integrated into the treatment process. Vojta therapist selects positions and zone combinations for a particular child and trains parents to practice at home. The frequency of therapy for children is 3-4 times a day, for adolescents and adults about 1-2 times a day. The duration of one set depends on age: for new-borns it is about 5-6 minutes, for babies under one year old it is about 15 minutes, for older children it is from 15 to 20 minutes. The intensity of physical activity is always selected by a specialist individually depending on age, disease, severity of the current state, and stamina.
International Vojta Society
It is a non-profit society created by Professor Vaclav Vojta to disseminate and popularize original knowledge on the Vojta principle of therapy and Vojta diagnostics. It is here that official training courses for specialists are organized and it is here that teachers licensed to teach Vojta therapy work. More information can be found on the official website of the International Vojta Society https://www.vojta.com/de/ Currently, there are 7 certified Vojta therapists in Russia.
More information can be found on the official website of the International Vojta Society.
Currently, there are 7 certified Vojta therapists in Russia. More detailed information can be found on the website or on Instagram.
The Vojta Society organizes courses all over the world and now Russia is on the agenda. In 2019 in Chelyabinsk for the first time in Russia an official training course called "Vojta-therapy in childhood" was launched; it is intended for doctors. More information can be found on website.